SOCIAL MEDIA

Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Ignorance is bliss..

I usually don't let people's comments about Austin bug me. When they have questions, I answer. I smile, and explain the best possible way I know how. But sometimes peoples ignorance just baffles me. I mean, before I became a special needs parent I was in the dark about it. Even without knowing anything about it, I still would have never asked some of the RUDE questions people ask, nor make comments like.. "What's wrong with him?" "You must have your hands full" "God Bless You". I am just like any other mother, raising her child the best I can. I do however feel it is my place to raise awareness, so there is less ignorance. 

Today someone had the audacity to call Austin "SICK". I nearly lost it. But I kept calm and said, first of all, Austin is NOT sick, he has special needs & those two things are NOT the same. Of course she didnt see anything wrong with what she had said and didnt think it was a big deal, thats what she calls people with special needs "sick". Once again, almost lost it. 

It may not be a big deal to her, but Austin was "sick" when he was in the NICU for the first 6 months of his life. On tons & tons of medications, breathing machines, ECMO (life support), eating through an IV.. fighting for his life. He is not sick anymore.. my little fighter is as healthy as his special needs will allow! He is normal.. HIS normal.. OUR normal.. MY normal. And its my place to make sure people understand the difference.. Spreading a little bit of awareness can help reduce some of the ignorance around me. I am his voice... It is MY job to spread Cerebral Palsy Awareness. 

that being said, Cerebral Palsy is not a sickness or a disease. He is not broken, And he is far from a burden. 


xoxo
B

1 comment :

  1. Some people will never learn. And as much advocating and educating we can do in the grocery aisles, or parking lot or ... Wherever there is a genuinely curious person ... There will always be those people who simply don't get it. Their loss.

    Austin is so adorable & you're doing a GREAT job.

    ReplyDelete