SOCIAL MEDIA

Thursday, November 29, 2018

Special Needs Kiddo Gift Guide

Every year shopping for Austin gets harder and harder. I am always looking for some sort of guidance, and I cant find exactly what I am looking for - so I decided to make a guide for you! And I provided all the links!! Here are things I plan to get Austin this Christmas, or things I have purchased this past year that have become a staple in our everyday life!! I hope this helps you as much as I want it to! 





1. Dock A Tot Grand - We have searched high and low for something that would provide Austin with comfort so he can participate with the family in the living room, but also not take up too much space. Austin takes some of his best naps in his Dock, and all three of my kids get some amazing use out of it. I have also taken it on trips, for Austin to sleep in at the hotel - because I don't trust he won't fall off the bed at night, Id have to say this is a must on your kiddos list.


2. Littlest Warrior tee - Not only does this tee come in matching sets for the whole family, but its a favorite of mine for sure. Littlest warrior is one of our favorite small shops because she makes t-shirts and more representing the wide variety of disabilities out there. And she too is a special needs mama!


3. B. Symphony Musical Toy Orchestra - Austin loves anything and everything that has music and lights. This interactive toy is perfect for working on motor skills.


4. Vans - Shoes have always been my favorite thing. They make the outfit to me. And I will not let AFOS change that. These kids Sk8 mid Reissue V fit perfectly over his AFOS and velcro for easy on and off capabilities, and he still gets all the compliments.


5. ZARA joggers - We love Zara! Not only are these joggers super cute but they are comfy, and they fit nice over Austins AFOS.


6. June & January Knee highs - I LOVE to use this sock under his AFOS. They are the perfect length and come in a ton of fun colors!


7. Noise Reduction headphones - As Austin gets older he has become more sensitive to sound, sometimes even causing seizures. I purchased these for Austin to wear while at Disney because he enjoys some of the big kid rides, but the sound is a little much. They have worked out so good for us, so he can handle all the explosions on Thunder mountain!


8.  Gap Trapper hat - Hats/beenies don't seem to stay on Austin well at all, but he gets cold easily and we love this hat because it covers all angles of his little face and clips under his neck, so it'll stay better.


9.  Gravity Blanket - Honestly, any weighted blanket will do the trick. But Austin gets over stimulated just by hanging out with the family sometimes, so I like to take him to his room, where he can calm down - be in his own space, de stress and lay in his bed with his weighted blanket over him. Its one of his favorite things.


10. Wooden Percussion Instruments - Austin loves all the sounds, and can hold most of these very well in his right hand.


11. Dyson hot & cool jet focus - We like our house on the cooler side - so this small room space heater is perfect for Austins room. I like that it has the hot and cool option and this will be under the tree for Austin.


12. Sensory Chewelry - In the last year or so Austin has began to chew on his hand. This is making his skin raw, so im going to grab him some of these this Christmas and hope maybe it'll help. Its also something new we can use in therapy. 

13. Silcone spoons - In OT we are currently working on feeding and mouth closure. Up until recently I had no idea Austin has a lip tie - which keeps him from being able to close his mouth properly - which may be a reason he is drooling so much. Anyway, his therapists have seen some interest in feeding lately especially when using silicone spoons. 


14. Swing - One thing Austin has always enjoyed at the end of PT is being able to sit on the swing and rock back and fourth or spin in a couple circles. Having one of his very own in his room would be a dream im sure. 


15. Joovy cot - The bigger Austin gets, the harder diaper changes in public get. This foldable cot has been on my wishlist for ages. it folds up, and comes with a cover. Should be able to to fit inside a handicap stall ( I have not tried it) and change Austins diaper OFF of the floor. There are so many to chose from! 


16. Rocktopus - Austin would love all the lights and sounds! And with his sisters help, this toy would be so fun. What I love most - is the kids can all play with it together. 


17. Dance and Groove Rock it - Austin owns EVERYTHING beat bo - so I don't see why he wouldn't love this one! 


18. Z Vibe - Taking it back to OT and what Austins working on - While they are feeding him, they usually place the z vibe in his hand so he is getting stimulation elsewhere and can focus on the food entering his mouth. We also use the z vibe to desensitize his mouth. The z vibe has some pretty cool attachments, like a spoon (that will vibrate) and some other sensory beneficial attachments.


19. Star Light Rotating Projector - I hate to leave Austin in the dark at night. We usually leave his TV on with the volume on low in case he wakes up. This is a great alternative to that! 



A couple more items not listed above are EZ holds, we usually use these to keep the z vibe in his hand. They are amazing and make for perfect stocking stuffers. A firefly splashy chair - we not only use this in the bath but have taken it to the pool so he can sit and soak with all of us, and I've also seen someone use it at the river. Some regular headphones, and an iPod because like I said before Austin loves music. He has his own iPod Shuffle, not sure if they make those anymore and some cute headphones we snagged at target and during our plane rides I clip the iPod on his shirt and he listens to his music. A stroller fan - for hot days. I just attach it to his wheelchair to keep him cool. Or a wheelchair blanket for cold days/nights. I've found some on facebook before - but lost that link. A beanbag, or a P Pod chair from inspired by drive. We also use bibs. I made a friend on Instagram who made Austin some custom sized bibs - and they save so many of his shirts! I only have to change him once. And I like to use June and January Burp cloths to wipe Austins drool throughout the day because he is drooler! A good camera, so I can see Austin in his room at all times and last but not least - Squigz make for great fine motor skill practice. 




Post a Comment